Thursday, March 27, 2014

Play it again, Sam {Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps}

I appreciate economy of effort. I like to spend time cooking things that can become a canvas for a variety of different dishes of varying flavor profiles. That way, when you spend a whole lot of time (and perhaps effort too) on an item, you feel like the return on investment is worth it. 

If you follow along regularly, you'll remember that I made slow-roasted pulled pork roast that we used in nachos, and tacos and salads etc. As I walked the aisles of the market the other day, I passed the pork roasts and thought, "that was really good pork. I should make that again." And so I picked up one of those roasts and cooked it up as directed here (follow link for directions). 

Once the 4-5 hours it takes to slow roast had passed, I realized that I didn't really know what I was going to do with the finished product. I got El Syd on the horn and told him to bring home some corn tortillas and some cilantro. However, I had some hungry kids nipping at my heels and waiting around for a Mexican-inspired meal didn't seem feasible at that point. Never fear, I peeked into the fridge and did a 180 on the regional inspiration and made this instead.



Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps


  • 1 recipe of slow roasted pulled pork
  • steamed white rice
  • head of iceberg or butter lettuce
  • mushrooms (fresh) chopped and sauteed in oil with a splash of toasted sesame oil
  • green onions (thinly sliced)
  • bean sprouts (drained and rinsed) (optional)
  • hoisin sauce (can be found in the international or Asian foods aisle of most supermarkets)
  • sprigs of cilantro
1. Prepare pork, rice, and mushrooms. 
2. Using large outer leaves of lettuce as your wrapper, spread a bit of hoisin sauce on the lettuce. Add a generous spoonful of each of the following: white rice, shredded or chopped pork, sauteed mushrooms. Top with a few bean sprouts and cilantro sprigs and another smidge of hoisin if desired.
3. Roll up and enjoy.

These were so delicious, and with the addition of the rice, sort of like an Asian-burrito. El Syd was pleasantly surprised and deems them "a refreshing way" to have what could have been a heavy meal with the rich pork and rice.

Just another great way to use that fabulous pulled pork!

Happy Cooking!
sld


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts, ideas, and questions.
Please note that your comment will not appear until it has been cleared by a website editor.